The most common photo enhancement after a shoot or travel is to adjust lighting and apply a flattering filter, however, I had a different kind of fun in photo editing last week. I rarely open photoshop for editing but after seeing the outputs of an illustrator from BoredPanda, I wanted to try it on our own travel photos and the result was ultimately hilarious.
“Big Head” is a style of editing wherein you make the size of the head disproportionate to its body; most of the time larger making you look like a titan or some kind of cartoon character. And I want to share the fun and amusement to this through a step-by-step tutorial. The following are the steps I followed in editing:
1. Open Adobe Photoshop application.
2. Click File then click Open… and browse for the photo you want to edit.
After opening the file, you will see your chosen image appearing in Photoshop.
3. The next thing we need to do is to outline the head we would want to enlarge using tools and point to point selection.
On the middle left side toolbar, right-click on pen tool and choose pen tool if it is not selected yet.
4. Zoom in, trace and click on each corner of the head including the hair until you reach the initial point and close the polygon.
5. Press right-click on your mouse and choose Make Selection. A dialog box will appear and will ask you for few options. For me, I will enter 1 pixel for Feather Radius making the edges less sharp and click OK. And we’re done with the outline.
6. After tracing, we are now ready to resize the selected head. To transform, click Command+T for MacOS users while Control+T for Windows users. Then a resizable box will appear over the head.
To resize, hover around the corner of the box then click-drag. Enlarge the head as much as you want. The larger the funnier!
Also, you may move the head by hovering inside the box then click-drag the head around where it would not look awkward or you might have more interesting head placement idea.
If you’re done resizing and moving the head, we need to commit the changes done to the image. To do this, click the check button on the upper menu.
7. We are done with the purpose of this tutorial however, we need to make this to a new layer so that it would be a breeze to edit the other heads. If you only have single head to edit, you may skip this step and proceed to step 8.
The step we need to do is to click Layer then New and click Layer Via Cut.
On the lower right of Photoshop, you will see a new layer called Layer 1 which contains the head you have just enlarged. This means you have successfully created a new layer of the resized head of Donald Trump.
For each head you want to resize, repeat steps 4 to 7. When you’re done growing the heads, you are now ready to export the image.
8. To export and save the image, click File, Export then Quick Export as PNG. For more save options, you may choose Export As which give you options for the format, size, and more. And we’re done!
After editing Trump’s head, Obama’s was next. And below is the completed and enlarged head photo. I hope you had fun following this tutorial and looking forward to your “Big Head” photos.